Displaced Yankee Chick in Texas

This blog chronicles my life as a displaced Yankee chick in Texas. I'm from the NY/NJ/PA area and quit my job 1.5 years ago to move to TX with DH and become a SAHM to our 3 kids (2 DDs and 1 DS). **Please note that names have been changed to protect the innocent.**

Sunday, December 11, 2005

Damn viruses and worms!

Last night DH told me that our year old computer is toast. He had gotten an email and when he clicked on it (it was from a known company that sends us both email as we are account holders), some screen popped up and said that the computer was infected with spyware or a virus or something. Our subscription to Norton had expired, so he immediately renewed that, and the Norton scans show that there is nothing wrong with the computer. However, after booting up, the computer tries to send email to all the people in DH's address book. F*CK!!

He spent the better part of the evening trying to get the computer back to normal, with no luck. The laptop I'm using has some PITA thing on it that can only be removed by going thru DOS and it is only partially removed. This thing seems rather benign, as it opens an IE window everytime the computer starts up and goes to some crap web site.

Now I've got to haul this laptop upstairs and see if I can use our multifunction device with it to scan pix so I can get working on my Christmas cards. Then I guess I'll open up my new printer and set that up, since I had planned on using it to print the pix for the Christmas cards. I was going to hook it up to the "good" computer, but I guess now I can set it up in the guest room where my scrapping stuff will someday find a home, and use this laptop... Should be fun.

Lesson: keep your antivirus software up to date!!

3 Comments:

At 12/12/2005 8:10 AM, Blogger mamatulip said...

I think laptops are great and all, but I'm a PC girl. I hope you get yours fixed soon. :)

 
At 12/12/2005 8:43 AM, Blogger geenalyn said...

i LOVE my laptop...it what i surf on during the day...but i agree i like my PC better. Viruses suck!!

 
At 12/12/2005 2:05 PM, Blogger jeanne_bean said...

DH has been working on it today as well. He apparently knows what virus it is (dialer something), but the registries that Norton says to delete aren't anywhere in the system.... A call to Norton may be in order. ACK!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home