Displaced Yankee Chick in Texas

This blog chronicles my life as a displaced Yankee chick in Texas. I'm from the NY/NJ/PA area and quit my job 1.5 years ago to move to TX with DH and become a SAHM to our 3 kids (2 DDs and 1 DS). **Please note that names have been changed to protect the innocent.**

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

It's a done deal

DH and I met earlier today with B's kindergarten teacher regarding B's placement for next year. She is smart enough to move on, but emotionally she's not mature enough to move up to first grade. She has given me trouble about doing her homework, and complains about the first graders having homework every night. In fact, she has told us that she never wants to leave kindergarten. So we agreed that she should be "retained" in kindergarten next year. It really was a no brainer. She's a quick learner, but is reluctant, and is having trouble making friends. She no doubt would benefit from another year in kindergarten in order to mature.

I know it is the right decision for her, but I still can help but feel a little guilty that she is being "left back." I really need to get over the stigma.

1 Comments:

At 5/05/2006 10:47 PM, Blogger Kimmykay said...

I know it is tough. Georgia will start K this year. Thankfully her b-day is in October after the cut off date. She will turn 6 soon after K starts. I would have made the decision to wait or retain too. It is hard. I think many parents are waiting, esp around here. There is so much they HAVE to learn in K that if you start off wrong then it is hard to catch up. I know in Catherine's pre-k class a few years ago 3 families held theirs back one more year. It made a world of difference. Good luck and great mommy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home