Displaced Yankee Chick in Texas

This blog chronicles my life as a displaced Yankee chick in Texas. I'm from the NY/NJ/PA area and quit my job 1.5 years ago to move to TX with DH and become a SAHM to our 3 kids (2 DDs and 1 DS). **Please note that names have been changed to protect the innocent.**

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Hall bath makeover, Part 1

I had been planning on removing the wallpaper in the upstairs bathrooms, or perhaps taking the easy way out and just priming over it all and adding a nice light paint color. That still may happen for the girls' bathroom where I plan to get rid of the hunter green wallpaper and paint a very light blue; perhaps an off-white with a faint blue tint. A's bathroom, which is the hall bath, is another story.

The first week I was here we experienced a water heater leak. Water was dripping from a pipe and it had filled the drip/overflow pan. In other houses I've lived in this wouldn't have caused much of a problem. However, our water heaters (along with the AC condensers) are in the attic. Water leaked out of the pan and onto the ceiling of the second floor causing damaage to the hall by A's bedroom. I hadn't noticed any water stains in his bathroom until quite a while later. As it turned out, water leaked through the ceiling in the shower/toilet room of his bathroom and caused some of the paper to start peeling. So removing that section of paper has become a little project of mine. I had to stop work on it while my parents were visiting and make the bathroom habitable. Here are some pix of it:

This is the shower enclosure before I removed it. (Toilet is to the left, and the door opens inside to the right.)















This is the BLUE wallpaper. It seems to absorb all the light in the room, since there is only a 100w lightbulb in this part of the bathroom.














The shower enclosure looked halfway decent, but the doors didn't slide easily, and it was starting to rust out at the bottom closest to the shower head.

Here is where I removed the wallpaper. You can see some of the damage from the water in the corner and at the ceiling line. I have to finish stripping the wallpaper backing here, then patch the wall and ceiling, and then I can finally start priming and painting.

This shows the shower without the sliding doors. You can see how chewed up the bottom track for the doors is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home