Displaced Yankee Chick in Texas

This blog chronicles my life as a displaced Yankee chick in Texas. I'm from the NY/NJ/PA area and quit my job 1.5 years ago to move to TX with DH and become a SAHM to our 3 kids (2 DDs and 1 DS). **Please note that names have been changed to protect the innocent.**

Monday, April 17, 2006

Easter weekend recap

My parents came in for a long Easter weekend and had a great time. I was like a crazy woman, working frantically last Thursday in an effort to finish everything before they arrived. Not everything got done, but it was going to have to be good enough. I left quite late for the airport but arrived in just about an hour's time, which was amazing, considering I left daycare at 5:40pm -- the height of rush hour.

DH had to fly to Cleveland the day before and his flight was scheduled to arrive about 15 minutes after my parents' flight. We ended up waiting a long time for his luggage to arrive, and by then the kids were nuts -- tired and hungry. On the way home we picked up dinner at Chick-fil-A.

Once the kids were finished, B gave my parents a tour of the house. She was their "tourman". LOL. Put the kids in bed and crashed.

Friday we put the little ones in daycare and B (who had off Thurs and Fri) stayed with the 'rents, DH and myself. Mom, B, and I went to Sam's Club to pick up food for Saturday's barbeque and Sunday's Easter dinner. Then we met DH and Dad at a local NY style pizzeria for lunch. Then back home to unload the cooler full of food. Once that was done, we wound up cleaning out my van since dad and I were going to Home Depot to get us a new patio set. The guys at HD took their time finding the set I wanted (they first brought me the chairs on a dolly, out of the box, with no hardware to assemble them), and then they took damn near forever to find the forklift to get the box down from on top of the display case, where they had an intact box of chairs. The afternoon was spent assembling the furniture.

We had planned to go out to dinner someplace for seafood, since it was Good Friday, but decided instead to stay home and eat the shrimp cocktail tray we earlier bought at Sam's. We also celebrated my mom's birthday a few weeks late with a delicious mint chocolate chip ice cream cake that we got at HEB. Later that night while DH and dad snoozed on the couches, mom and I hung out in the spa. It was great.

Saturday our church had an Easter Egg hunt, so we got the kids ready and my parents and I took them over to it. While we were there DH vacuumed the house WITHOUT me asking!! I was needless to say thrilled when I came home and discovered that he had realized it needed to be done and had gone ahead and done so. The kids enjoyed the egg hunt, but I think the little ones were more excited to open and close the eggs than look for more.

Saturday afternoon my aunt, uncle and cousins came over. My dad's brother lives in Houston, probably about an hour away from us. My cousin T and her two kids live on the other end of my town, about 30 minutes away. My other cousin J and his wife and son live closer to Galveston, so they're probably at least an hour and a half away. The younger kids were in the pool, along with DH, myself and T. The other adults hung out both inside and outside and caught up.

Sunday morning we attempted to go to Mass, but we were late, and there was absolutely no room inside the church. We tried standing in the hallway, but we couldn't hear a darn thing, so we finally gave up. I took my parents on a tour of our area, including a drive by the local HS. The thing is about a mile long and looks like what we Yankees would consider a community college. It really is amazing how big some things are down here. We had a delicious buffet brunch at our country club. Before we started eating we went outside for some pictures. The kids were hungry, as were the adults, so I just snapped a few and didn't really care how they came out. That is pretty evident from the pix I got.

Sunday afternoon my aunt, uncle, and cousin T and her kids came over for dinner. The kids again swam in the pool with DH and the gals cooked and dad and his brother had time to catch up. After dinner we sang Happy Birthday to uncle who turned 72 yesterday. My dad was a change of life baby for my grandparents, and he couldn't be more different from my uncle if he tried. It's amazing to think sometimes that they actually have the same parents. LOL!

Sunday night after the kids were in bed DH, my parents and I sat in the spa for a while. It was great. I think we all felt refreshed after a nice long soak.

Monday we took it easy. B went back to school but I kept the little ones home. We went out to Pappadeaux for lunch so my parents could have some yummy cajun food. After B got home we packed up the car to take my parents to the airport. It was very difficult for B to say goodbye to them (and it was for me as well). B cried a lot in the terminal, and I teared up. To cheer her up we let her choose where we'd get dinner. Once she got her Happy Meal and toy from the new movie "The Wild", she was happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home