Displaced Yankee Chick in Texas

This blog chronicles my life as a displaced Yankee chick in Texas. I'm from the NY/NJ/PA area and quit my job 1.5 years ago to move to TX with DH and become a SAHM to our 3 kids (2 DDs and 1 DS). **Please note that names have been changed to protect the innocent.**

Sunday, February 12, 2006

TGISunday!

First of all, I accidentally hit the wrong key on the damn laptop last night and went back, erasing the friendly update email I was preparing to send to our friends up north. I was so pissed. And I still haven't been able to get into my gymboree.com shopping cart. Argh. I'll have to call them tomorrow.

DH is still sick; this is day 10 of whatever he has, and day 5 of serious antibiotics. It's driving me CRAZY!! I realize he genuinely feels awful. He's sick of eating chicken soup and drinking water. He wants something with taste. However, he coughs (and he can't tell me why he's coughing) so violently that it sometimes makes him puke. He goes from freezing to hot flashes in the blink of an eye. I realize he's miserable. He is still quarantined, sleeping and pretty much spending the majority of the day in our bedroom. I sleep on the couch in the hopes that I don't get this bug. DH has decided to go back to the doctor tomorrow and ask for a blood test to see if that can determine what this thing is.

I took the kids out to WalMart because I was meeting someone from freecycle.com there. My plan was to then go to the Bed Bath & Beyond and return a Christmas gift, and return a portrait to the photography studio in the mall (they've promised to reprint it for us and haven't yet). However the kids had different ideas, and by the time we were leaving WalMart, the little ones were crying and B was testing my patience. Being the nice mom I am, I stopped at Sonic to get lunch for us (and even called DH to see if he wanted anything). To continue my fabulous run of luck, my liimeade fell out of my cupholder when I came to a stop at a stop sign, spilling half of its precious contents all over the front floormat of my car. Fed the kids, then changed them and got them to nap.

Wondered to my mother what had happened to my life if my days consist of changing diapers and finding wonder in the different colors and textures of my children's shits. So this is what it has come to?! Great.

My mother was socked with 13 inches of snow and my dad is on a trip for a week. He has to deal with the snow where he is too, so we're not as jealous as we usually are. Normally when there is a blizzard, he's someplace fabulous and warm. Friends from NJ and MD sent me pix of the blizzard. It's times like this that I'm happy to be living in the South and in relative warmth. (Did I mention that winter finally hit Houston yesterday? Temps at 6 this morning were below freezing here.)

Called a good friend of mine who is a gymbo addict. It turns out she got a PT job at gymbo, just for the discount. LOL! I would have talked to her longer, but I heard a strange sound out in the family room. (I was on the phone in my bedroom, which is off the FR.) I asked my friend to hold on for a moment, and then I searched for B. I finally found her in tears coming out from a corner of the living room. DH had gone to investigate with me. She told us she had hurt herself and after further pressing, she finally told us what she had done. She climbed up on the built in TV shelf and then tried to jump and grab the fireplace mantel but didn't and fell on the slate. Lectured her on why it is not a good idea to climb and jump on things in the house. By this time I had already apologized to my friend and told her I'd have to call her back. If you wonder why I drink, it is times like this. I feel like a broken record with these kids and it seems my rules and messages just don't seem to get through. Even if I have the kids repeat the rules to me. ARGH!

I read part of the Sunday paper (wasn't that a great song by Joe Jackson?!) and decided I needed to run to Target and pick up the cordless phone that was on sale, since I didn't expect it to be in stock later this week. And again I had to pack up the kids and take them all with me. We killed some time by shopping for spring, summer and Easter shoes. The girls each got a pair of white Easter shoes with rhinestones on the straps, sparkling pink dressy shoes, and colorful flip flops. There wasn't a very good selection of boy shoes, so I'll have to hit the Stride Rite outlet for him. Then B had the bright idea of eating there, so we did. The kids meals are pretty darn reasonable and somewhat nutritious -- hot dog, juice box, apple sauce, and gummy fruit bites for $3.92 or so. So they ate and I had some water and finished off the 1/3 of A's hot dog that he didn't want.

The dipshit in front of me on the Express (10 items or les) lane pissed me off. She got up to the cashier and asked if he'd take her even if she had more than 10, since she apparently didn't see the signs posted ALL OVER THE LANE. And he was nice enough to say yes, so I watched him ring up about 20-30 stupid things she had stuffed into her hand basket. When she was finally out of earshot, I said to him, "So much for 10 items or less, huh?!" Schmuck. Both of them.

DH was feeling worse when we got home, having just puked twice. So he was of absolutely no help. I begged him to help with the bedtime routine, which was when he told me he had just puked. Thanks for that buddy. I know you feel like crap, but I still have to do all of the parenting when I'm sick... I'm so over his illness. Meanwhile he later asked me to get him saltines since Ritz crackers were too buttery for his delicate stomach. So I ran to the store for them, picking up some Smartfood popcorn for me in the process (and surprisingly, not getting the ice cream I've been craving). And I even got him a glass of cranberry juice (since he "doesn't want to contaminate all the cups by getting one"). He even contemplated aloud whether he should go to the ER. Poor guy.

Get better soon before I have an effing stroke dude!! I need some help here, and lemme tell ya, full time daycare for a month or few weeks is sounding REALLY GOOD right about now! I'm over doing the whole single parent thing while actually not being a single parent. That's why you took this job and moved the family. Argh.

At least tomorrow there will be one less body in the house for part of the day. I'm looking forward to that.

3 Comments:

At 2/13/2006 10:30 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

Has your DH been to the doctor yet? Did they draw blood? My DH is still recovering from pneumonia and he started out like your DH. The coughing is, supposedly, a common symptom.

 
At 2/13/2006 7:25 PM, Blogger mamatulip said...

Ugh, sorry your Dh is still sick. There's something just brutal going around; I think it's creeping up on me.

 
At 2/14/2006 12:20 AM, Blogger jeanne_bean said...

DH went to the doc today, got an antibiotic shot in the ass, a different antibiotic Rx, and Rx cough meds. Plus he had chest x-rays and a blood test. Results should be in tomorrow. He went last week (Tues or Wed) and got an Rx for Levaquin. These new Rx are different. I hope that the blood test will show something that can be treated. Ugh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home