Displaced Yankee Chick in Texas

This blog chronicles my life as a displaced Yankee chick in Texas. I'm from the NY/NJ/PA area and quit my job 1.5 years ago to move to TX with DH and become a SAHM to our 3 kids (2 DDs and 1 DS). **Please note that names have been changed to protect the innocent.**

Saturday, January 28, 2006

So tired

Did I mention in yesterday's post that DH told Clay's parents that we would watch their kids today while they supervised the movers? Clay's dad pulled up at 8:30 this morning; I thought he had the kids with him. It turned out the movers had just arrived and he wanted the last and biggest piece of our entertainment unit so he could get it on the truck. I ran to the store to get milk (we were completely out) while DH helped Pete get the piece in Pete's SUV.

When I returned, Clay and his sister were there. DH told me later that Pete didn't think we were serious about watching the kids. Honestly, having lived through unloading a moving truck and a crew unpacking our stuff, I would never again have a child in attendance. B was pretty good while our truck was unloaded, but she was bored and did get underfoot a few times. Moving is no place for kids. Trust me.

So the kids played with my kids, and it went well for the most part. We had a few tears; though surprisingly none by me. B couldn't share and was despondent for a while because her "Sunday cherry pie" that she had made was ruined. If I could recall the lyrics to "Macarthur Park" I would have sung it to her. LOL! Clay lost it a few times too, and usually over something seemingly insignificant.

Clay's sister, Chloe, is a month younger than S and is not potty trained. I had the pleasure of changing her three times today. The first time was right after I discovered that she had blown out her diaper. Uh oh! It, rather, shit ran right up her back and had gotten the back of her shirt. Blech! She lay down for me to change her on the kitchen floor, which was perfectly fine with me. Tile is easy to clean! I must say that I can't remember when I changed a diaper that smelled so bad. Considering I still have two that aren't potty trained, that's quite a compliment! NOT! I needed DH's help with getting her shirt off without covering her with extra shit once I had the clean diaper on. Then I tossed her clothes in my washer on a nice extra long two rinse cycle.

Right before lunchtime DH went to Clay's house to see how things were going. He returned a short while later while I was taking lunch orders from the 5 kids at home. The moving trucks pulled out, and DH arrived home with 2 extra boys. These brothers, Clay's former neighbors, are in 5th and 2nd grade. Their parents were helping out at the new house, so we also entertained them for a while and fed them. So now I had 7 lunch orders. And the kids were emptying the closet in the game room of all the toys and games. I have to say these kids were all quite well behaved and polite during lunch. Before the rain started we had the kids outside playing in the yard and on the driveway. An hour or two later the mother of the two boys arrived to pick them up.

Later in the afternoon, while A was napping, we put a movie on for the kids to watch. B was pissed that we put in the movie that Clay had requested, so she got a time out in her room and I went up to discuss good manners with her. A short while after I came downstairs I noticed that Chloe's shorts were wet. She had wet through the pull up I had changed her into (the 2nd change of the day). At least her clothes were dry by this point, so I grabbed them and started to change her. And just before I pulled open the pull up, I realized that she had almost had another blow out. And again, this was one of the most horrendous smelling shits I've smelled in a LONG while. In fact, it was so foul, that I wrapped it in a plastic grocery bag, put it in the trash and then asked DH to take the garbage out. HURL!

Shortly after 4 Pete arrived to take the kids to their new house. I was never so happy to see him! By 5 I was starving and ready for bed. We decided to go out to eat because I was too exhausted to cook and quite frankly, I didn't feel like having to clean up after yet another person. However, I first had the girls help me to straighten up the game room. I've put aside some toys that drive me crazy or that are too young for the kids and I hope to get them out of here on Monday. I think I'll freecycle some and perhaps try ebay for others. I think as long as the girls don't see them, they won't miss them.

We grabbed pizza at the local cheap pizza buffet. A surprised us by eating nearly 4 slices of pizza. Since they slice them so narrowly, it was really like 2 regular slices, but he usually only eats one. S, who normally inhales her food, ate slowly and only ate one small slice and nibbled on another. And B who barely eats, ate 3 pieces. Impressive.

Once we returned home, we immediately got everyone changed and ready for bed. Now I'm enjoying the quiet, laptop on my lap, TV on something I want to watch, and a beer in hand. God I hope I sleep good tonight!

1 Comments:

At 1/29/2006 4:19 PM, Blogger Mary said...

Holy cow you were busy!! Glad the day is over!! I have a hard time changing kids other than my own, it's just gross.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home