Displaced Yankee Chick in Texas

This blog chronicles my life as a displaced Yankee chick in Texas. I'm from the NY/NJ/PA area and quit my job 1.5 years ago to move to TX with DH and become a SAHM to our 3 kids (2 DDs and 1 DS). **Please note that names have been changed to protect the innocent.**

Friday, February 03, 2006

I think I've found an activity for the girls

Tonight I took the girls to an Irish dance expo. The local Irish dance champion started her own school last year and is starting classes locally. When I mentioned to B yesterday that we'd be going to the expo tonight she was OK with it. However, I knew that she'd change her mind and she indeed proved me right. We talked about the expo on the way to the bus stop, on the way home from the bus stop and over dinner. And every time she told me she didn't want to go.

We arrived at the dance studio and I sat the girls on either side of me. The students were practicing their solo dances and learning new steps from the teacher. I think what caught B's eye was that the girls got to jump and run around the studio. She thought the dancing was cool and began to copy it out in the waiting area. Lucky for me she calmed down because for a while she was panic stricken and nervous, (I think) thinking that she was going to have to dance for the older girls and that they'd laugh at her. Instead the girls thought my girls were cute.

After the class I spoke to the teacher and she will be scheduling classes in our area once she finalizes the studio space. She has a beginners class for 5 yr olds and a toddler class for 3-5 yr olds. As much as I think B would be OK in the beginner class, I think I'll enroll them both in the toddler class. B is very much like DH (can't sit still, very outgoing and personable), but she's exactly like I was at her age: shy in new situations. Even at her classmate's birthday parties down here, she was clingy at the beginning, then got comfortable and went off with her friends. I know to expect that, so I think if she has S with her, they'll both get comfortable quicker.

I can't wait to get the email with all the details. We should get the info by the end of the month.

1 Comments:

At 2/09/2006 9:50 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I love Irish dancing! I'm so glad to see that it's catching on. Just wish we had it here in Arkansas.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home