Displaced Yankee Chick in Texas

This blog chronicles my life as a displaced Yankee chick in Texas. I'm from the NY/NJ/PA area and quit my job 1.5 years ago to move to TX with DH and become a SAHM to our 3 kids (2 DDs and 1 DS). **Please note that names have been changed to protect the innocent.**

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Yay Steelers!

So the Steelers won the Super Bowl. Hmm, am I allowed to use the words "Super Bowl" or should I say "Big Game"?? I'm glad the team from the East Coast and my former home state won.

My friend Tim was a big Steeler fan. Thinking of the Steelers makes me think of him and that makes me sad. Why is that? Because just over a year ago I got some disturbing news about Tim. He and his lovely wife Juli were divorcing, and he apparently got himself screwed up good to earn the divorce. Juli did everything she could to help him and so did our friends who knew. However, he just went mental. It sounded to me like he either had some sort of mental crisis, akin to a mid-life crisis, or got messed up with drugs. It's a pity because Tim and Juli and their beautiful daughter Anna made such a wonderful family.

Tim and I dated very briefly in high school, but I liked him more like a friend. We survived some strange times, like after he asked me to our junior prom and I had accepted, I later told him I couldn't go with him to the prom. I had heard that he wanted to go off alone with me after the prom (he was the only one of our friends with a drivers license at that time). Being the good Catholic girl, going to the prestigious Catholic school, his post-prom plans weren't OK with me, so I got out of the date. But we remained friends, and I was very happy about that.

Tim and Juli met in college and I loved her from the moment I met her. They were so cute together, finishing each other's sentences. I'd been to their home for dinners; DH and I went to Tim's surprise 30th birthday party. And I was privileged to be a part of their wedding ceremony.

I think what saddens me most is that they seemed to be one of those couples who are so perfectly suited that you just know they'll never get divorced. When you find out the awful truth, it shocks you to the core, and you wonder, if I was wrong about them...

I hope Juli and Anna are happy and I hope and pray that Tim gets the help he needs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home