Displaced Yankee Chick in Texas

This blog chronicles my life as a displaced Yankee chick in Texas. I'm from the NY/NJ/PA area and quit my job 1.5 years ago to move to TX with DH and become a SAHM to our 3 kids (2 DDs and 1 DS). **Please note that names have been changed to protect the innocent.**

Sunday, January 22, 2006

One of the best reasons for living in TX today...

Today is MIL's 60th bday. Last year at this time, I was still frazzled after hosting nearly 20 people for Christmas, and having 14 for Christmas Eve (which was DH's grandmother's 90th birthday -- we had her party at our house). My Christmas tree might still have been up; I know the other decorations were. DH was traveling all across the eastern part of the country, teaching people how to sell some of the products that his company has in their catalog. He was gone for weeks at a time, sometimes Sunday to Thursday, working at home on Friday, laundry on Saturday, and then leaving again on Sunday for another week. It was crazy.

So last year SIL had the nerve to email us (or was it me) and ask us if we'd host MIL's birthday party. After all, MIL's house is too small. (I should really be hosting someone's 59th bday party; heck SIL hasn't YET hosted any holiday gathering!) The guest list was to include the 5 people in my family, SIL's family (3), MIL and her then boyfriend (now fiance) (2), the couple who introduced them (2), their son and DIL (our best friends) (2), and a family friend (1). That's 15 freaking people. And I'm sure since DH's family all lived nearby, that it would have turned into some major 50 people or more bash. Needless to say, I went apesh!t!! I couldn't believe she had the nerve to try to volunteer us for this, especially since it wasn't even a MONTH since the last two events I had hosted. And my house was still a disaster and still decorated for Christmas.

So we got out of hosting that inane party, and I said that I'd host her 60th at our house in PA. Really, since we all live in PA, and SIL lives in CT, it would have been stupid for SIL to host it at her house and make everyone travel. It turned out that DH had to travel and was flying on MIL's birthday last year. We were at my parents' house since DH was flying out of Newark. And we had a blizzard that day. LOL! DH had wanted to at least drive to her house to wish her a happy birthday, but she insisted that he not drive out of his way in the terrible snow.

As luck would have it, we moved to warmer climes last summer and now I don't have to host a stupid party since I'm at least 24 hours away from these people. LOL! And I even said it to DH a few weeks or months ago -- we will NOT be hosting MIL's party here, since we are NOT unpacked; we've already hosted them and as far as I know, wem did NOT extend them that invitation!!, and it would be stupid, since everyone who would come is also up north.

Later today I'll be at a meeting of my sorority's local alumnae group, so I'll remind DH as I'm leaving that he should call MIL and wish her a happy birthday. I sent the card off a few days ago, so it should have arrived yesterday or will arrive tomorrow. I sent her gift to her office; a tower of treat for all to share. Heck, if I'm packing on the pounds, why shouldn't everybody??!! The FedEx site tells me that it arrived last Monday, so I'll have DH confirm that. (I sent it to arrive on Wed last week in case her DF took MIL away for her birthday weekend.) I just have to hope that DH doesn't wait to call her until I return from my luncheon.

Gosh, do I sound like an evil DIL or what?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home