Displaced Yankee Chick in Texas

This blog chronicles my life as a displaced Yankee chick in Texas. I'm from the NY/NJ/PA area and quit my job 1.5 years ago to move to TX with DH and become a SAHM to our 3 kids (2 DDs and 1 DS). **Please note that names have been changed to protect the innocent.**

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Call the authorities and have them commit me!

We are having DH's uncle stay the night on Monday since he'll be in town for business. I went into the hall bathroom upstairs, which is on one side of the house near DH's office, the guest/craft room and A's room (we have another bath on the other side of the house upstairs that the girls share). The tub has a sliding door enclosure and although it looks really nice, the track is crap. The outer door is very difficult to close.

The home improvement bug has bitten me again. I googled tub enclosures and sliding doors and found some hints on repairing the darn thing. I hoped that if I just adjusted the wheels (which seem to turn fine), the problem would resolve itself. However, that was not the case.

I think after DH's uncle visits, we'll have to pop out the shower doors and clean the wheels, and pop out the upper track and clean it also. I'm hoping that works. If not, then we'll remove the doors and install a crescent shower rod and I'll put up the pretty shower curtain. My other project in there will be to strip the wallpaper... Good thing we have one of those industrial clothing steamers and a hearty travel steamer; they're going to get a lot of use by me REAL SOON!!

The previous owners loved wallpaper much more than I do. They wallpapered the kitchen and that paper is OK. The powder room is papered in something that reminds me of Greek ruins; the color is sort of a minty blue-green and cream. The girls each have a vanity in their room, and those are papered in hunter green with little white diamonds or something. Their shared bathroom is papered in white paper with burgundy and hunter green stitching. Not my taste, but definitely my SIL's taste. Our master bath is papered in a deep purple floral with dark green leaves on a cream background. Again, not our taste. And the hall bath is separated into two rooms, a vanity with double sinks, and then the toilet and tub in the other room. The tub room is papered with a royal blue that looks marbled. It's not too bad in an of itself, but the room is much too small to carry it off, especially with one small light fixture in the room. And I was thrilled yesterday to discover that the outer room with the vanity also was papered with this same blue paper. Instead of stripping it, they simply painted over the wallpaper. Great. At least I don't think they papered the pool bath...

Needless to say, DH's clothing steamer will be used to help me strip all the awful paper in the upstairs bathrooms. I'm itching to get started on that project, but will then have to get more paint from my friends at Home Depot, provided they can provide me with proper bathroom paint. I'd like to paint them with a milgicide paint.

The schmucks who were to deliver my guest/scrap room furniture yesterday didn't. It was scheduled to be here between 11 and 3 and I waited all day. At 4 I called the shipping company and was finally told that it had arrived too late to be put on a truck. Then they scheduled delivery for Monday. Now I want to paint the guest room too. One of my problems is that I need to get rid of a lot of the crap that is in there so I can paint.

I have a pile of boxes against one wall that nearly reaches the ceiling. It is a pile of the porcelain dolls that FIL and DH's grandmother thought would be wonderful gifts for B and S. Nearly every single birthday and Christmas until last year they sent the girls dolls from the Franklin, Danbury or some other Mint. Apparently all because I had a doll collection. At least my dolls were from around the world, and I played with most of them. These things can't be played with. Meanwhile, I took down my doll collection, which used to live in B's room. I discovered B climbing the bookcase below the doll hutch one day while I was on maternity leave days before S was born (this was also the time when B stopped napping at home). Once I discovered that she could climb the damn thing, I took the dolls down and packed them up. I put a few of her toys on the lower shelf and it was a happy compromise. Last year or so, when DH's grandmother was visiting, she made a comment about how the dolls were not on display. I told her how I had discovered B climbing up the hutch, and now she could really get hurt if a porcelain doll broke on her, and we let the matter drop. We haven't seen a porcelain doll since. *VBEG*

Alas, I'll have to stuff the walk-in closet, and I think I can fit the dolls on the shelf in the closet. Other stuff will temporarily move to either the girls' or A's closet and I'll paint the room. Then I can put together the Table Bed and ooh and aah over it. Looks like my parents may be the ones to give the bed its inaugural sleeping in. (Did I mention that I found them a ridiculously cheap airfare?!)

I'd really like to paint the room the same color as we had in our old master BR. However, I'm 99% positive that we used a paint from Behr called Water Garden and I cannot find it online. And at our serious state of confusion (read: not unpacked YET!), I won't be able to find the chip I had of it. I loved that color, and it went great with our old bedding, which is probably what I'll use on that bed. I've emailed the folks at Behr and hope they have good news for me. Our new mattress is 16 inches deep, so the old sheets won't fit, and the old comforter is too short on the sides. They'll be perfect for guests, though.

God help me! I've got all these projects and grand plans, yet I have no idea how I'm supposed to get any of this done with two little ones around. I nearly killed myself painting DH's office. I was up till 3am each night, and I was completely worthless during the day without a good night's sleep. Guess I should really make my first priority finding quality child care...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home