Displaced Yankee Chick in Texas

This blog chronicles my life as a displaced Yankee chick in Texas. I'm from the NY/NJ/PA area and quit my job 1.5 years ago to move to TX with DH and become a SAHM to our 3 kids (2 DDs and 1 DS). **Please note that names have been changed to protect the innocent.**

Monday, November 21, 2005

So much to do, so little time

So Wednesday is the dreaded day. MIL and her DF arrive early in the morning to spend Thanksgiving with us. My house has TONS of boxes still all over. Right now the only rooms without boxes are the living room (okay, but the entryway to the LR is blocked off by boxes to prevent the little ones from getting in...), dining room, and kitchen. Oh wait, there's the powder room, and the girls' Hollywood bathroom too. The counters in the kitchen are covered in stuff, and so is the kitchen table. I have things to Freecycle on the dining room table.

DH took time this morning to reorganize the guest room, where I have a bunch of boxes stacked all over. He put a bunch of them in the closet in order to make room for our mattress. We bought ourselves a brand new bed yesterday and it was delivered this afternoon. Our old mattress went up to the guest room and now we'll at least be sleeping on the most amazing comfy mattress ever (or at least so it seemed yesterday). I hope I can stand it, because the darn thing is outgassing right now. Peee-yoouuu!

And yesterday we tried out NY Pizzeria, where I drank a ton of Dr. Pepper. Thanks to that, I pulled an all nighter last night, and wound up doing some really urgent unpacking in our family room. I unpacked my and DH's CD collections, then alphabetized and merged them, removing duplicates and CDs I no longer care to own. I hope to have DH review his CDs and remove any he doesn't want. If I can find the local post office, I'll be able to ebay some of these CDs. I lay down after 6am this morning. But not before DH's damn Blackberry buzzed, rang and buzzed. One of his good friends had called him. Shortly after he got up, B came downstairs to start her day, and by 9am all three kids were up and my chance at getting any sleep was gone.

I don't know why I even care. I know I haven't been able to get a lot of unpacking and organizing done with the little ones home. Nevermind that B's school district has the week off, so I've got an extra head home to interrupt me this week. I'd at least like to have some of the common areas looking nice.

Oh well, I'll take advantage of them being here and take some time to unpack. And then Friday morning I'm hoping to do my Black Friday shopping. Woo hoo! In the past DH has let me go out alone at 5-6 am while he deals with all the kids himself. I've gotten some great deals, so I know he's okay with it. I already told DH that I'm cooking and I don't want anyone else in the kitchen with me.

I am excited because my aunt, uncle and cousin will be coming for dinner. I haven't seen my cousin in 4 years, and I last saw my aunt and uncle in June when we were house hunting. I'll be glad to see them.

This should be fun.

5 Comments:

At 11/22/2005 8:18 AM, Blogger mamatulip said...

Hi! :)

I still have boxes I haven't unpacked...we've been here for a year.

Have a good Thanksgiving. :)

 
At 11/22/2005 12:20 PM, Blogger geenalyn said...

LOL what Kath really means is she's been there for a year and half and still has boxes....

;)

 
At 11/22/2005 12:25 PM, Blogger mamatulip said...

Um, yeah. Thanks, Geena. LMAO!!

 
At 11/22/2005 8:47 PM, Blogger geenalyn said...

anytime sweetie ;)

 
At 11/22/2005 11:51 PM, Blogger jeanne_bean said...

My parents have been in their house nearly 30 years and STILL have boxes. I want to break the cycle.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home