Displaced Yankee Chick in Texas

This blog chronicles my life as a displaced Yankee chick in Texas. I'm from the NY/NJ/PA area and quit my job 1.5 years ago to move to TX with DH and become a SAHM to our 3 kids (2 DDs and 1 DS). **Please note that names have been changed to protect the innocent.**

Friday, November 11, 2005

And the Mother of the Year award goes to...

someone other than me.

Just yesterday was our eldest's first day riding the bus. DH and I took her to the bus stop and saw her off; I met her at the bus stop in the afternoon with the little ones in the double stroller. Today was going to be a carbon copy. That is, until I realized as the plumber was leaving that it was 3:30 and the bus would be coming very soon. Weighed my options -- leave the little ones napping or wake them and pop them in the stroller... I ultimately chose to wake them, get drinks, get the stroller, put them in it, and lock the house. Just as I left our driveway to turn up the street, I spied a child walking down the cross street. Oh crap. I wondered whether it was the 5th grader who lives next door. The mom next door had just pulled out of her driveway and was at the corner talking to this boy. Then said boy got in her car. Hmm. It was most likely him. Now where was my DD?? She wasn't walking down the street, nor did I see any other children. Perhaps the mom was giving an older friend (at the Jr. High) of his a ride...

So I stood at the bus stop for 10-15 minutes and the bus did not come. Finally the mother and daughter whose house is the bus stop location came out of their house to go somewhere. I caught their attention and asked if the bus had indeed come already, fully knowing the answer. Yes it had. A burning sensation began where my stomach had been. Where was she? Oh gosh, it's her SECOND day riding the bus, and I'm traumatizing her again, allowing her to feel not only that I don't care about her safety on the bus, but that I've completely forgotten about her. Luckily the mom has the school's phone number preprogrammed on her cell phone, and she immediately called them to inquire about DD's location. Just as she was speaking to the people at the school, the bus pulled up. As it turns out, the wonderful bus driver noticed that I wasn't there to meet the bus, so she kept DD on the bus until she had finished the route and then returned to our stop. I was SO relieved and grateful to the driver and neighbor. The neighbor's daughter has offered to keep an eye on DD to make sure that she gets on the bus and off at the right stop.

Thank God for nice people like them for making a brand new SAHM like me feel better about my mistakes while I learn all the responsibilities for my new job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home