Displaced Yankee Chick in Texas

This blog chronicles my life as a displaced Yankee chick in Texas. I'm from the NY/NJ/PA area and quit my job 1.5 years ago to move to TX with DH and become a SAHM to our 3 kids (2 DDs and 1 DS). **Please note that names have been changed to protect the innocent.**

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Holy cow, that's BIG!

I woke up Sunday and decided that I needed to get myself to church; it was after all the first Sunday of Advent. This is my favorite church season. So I told DH that I was going and actually talked B into going with me. Then I was feeling generous and decided to take S along as well.

Everything was fine and dandy and I found our church collection envelopes before we had to leave. However, I couldn't find the new book of checks that I know we started before I left for NJ two weeks ago. Finally gave up looking for it, and put cash in the envelope. I hate doing that; I prefer checks so I can prove my charitable donations to the IRS.

The girls and I headed out to the church and followed a bunch of cars in front of us into the lot. It seemed like half of the town was going to the same Mass. Once we got inside I realized that this parish is going to be a lot like our old one. HUGE. The church is shaped in a semi-circle, with stadium-style seating. In back of the pews were tons of single seats set up in rows. We arrived shortly before Mass began and the place was already packed. Holy cow.

My parents had warned me that this being the South, they didn't like "our kind" down here. I dunno about that because I'd think that we'd certainly be able to outnumber anyone who felt that way. Even before Mass started, the congregation was asked to turn and welcome their neighbors. So there I was smiling, shaking hands and saying "Good morning" to all these people around me.

We grabbed three seats outside the cry room door, in case we needed to excuse ourselves quickly. I later wondered if I had actually taken seats that others were using. Now, there weren't any missals on the seats, or jackets. However, I was surrounded by a bunch of Philippinos in front and behind me and they all seemed to be together, so I wondered throughout the Mass if we had mistakenly taken seats from them or the children who were scattered about.

Now I've got to call the church and see when their next welcome shindig is. They had sent us an invitation to one in October, but it was scheduled before the kids and I got down here.

Note to self: Get up early on Sundays to make sure we have a chance to get to church early thereby guaranteeing us both a parking spot and seats inside.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home