Displaced Yankee Chick in Texas

This blog chronicles my life as a displaced Yankee chick in Texas. I'm from the NY/NJ/PA area and quit my job 1.5 years ago to move to TX with DH and become a SAHM to our 3 kids (2 DDs and 1 DS). **Please note that names have been changed to protect the innocent.**

Saturday, November 26, 2005

Buh bye

DH and eldest DD got up at 5am and took MIL and her DF to the airport. They couldn't stay an extra day because the cost was too high. "It was like buying another ticket." Yeah, but you've been traveling all year, and recently returned from Cabo. Doesn't seem like you're too worried about dropping cash all over creation. Just spending too much time with your damn grandchildren...

Ah whatever. Since MIL met him she's been unavailable to us all emotionally and physically. So for us to be living her and seeing her oh, once or twice a year like I hope, won't be much different than it has been for the past 1.5 years. I mean, in the 14 mos that DS has been here, she's probably seen him 12 times. DH and I used to be able to count the times on our fingers: at the hospital (she drove me there when I was in labor, then took the girls while I gave birth), christening, Halloween, Christmas, day before Valentine's Day (and that was only because she and he were going to sneak in our house to leave the kids their Valentines and oodles of candy, but were surprised to see our cars in the driveway; they thought we were out), early March when DH took me away for a long weekend, you get the idea. This from someone who had been devoted to her grandchildren and loved seeing them. Or so we thought.

"As I hung up the phone it occurred to me, he'd grown up just like me. He'd grown up just like me." Harry Chapin

I wonder when it will occur to her...

At least my parents are interested in their grandchildren and want to be involved in their lives. They don't want to buy their love with ridiculous amounts of gifts for every freaking gift giving occasion. They give the gift of their time.

3 Comments:

At 11/28/2005 7:39 AM, Blogger mamatulip said...

((hugs)) I'm sorry her family isn't on the top of her priority list. It's her loss, yet the kids are losing out on that relationship as well. I hope someday she clues in.

You know, I checked your blog last night and I didn't see any of these new posts! The last one I saw was Tuesday's. Weird.

 
At 11/29/2005 12:21 PM, Blogger jeanne_bean said...

Um, that could be because I power blogged these latest ones in a matter of an hour or two and then changed the post date on them. I think it makes me seem less lame. LOL.

 
At 11/29/2005 7:13 PM, Blogger mamatulip said...

LOL! Sneaky.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home