Displaced Yankee Chick in Texas

This blog chronicles my life as a displaced Yankee chick in Texas. I'm from the NY/NJ/PA area and quit my job 1.5 years ago to move to TX with DH and become a SAHM to our 3 kids (2 DDs and 1 DS). **Please note that names have been changed to protect the innocent.**

Friday, November 25, 2005

Black Friday

Got friendly enough with MIL yesterday to agree to go Black Friday shopping with her. We went through all the sales papers and got our plan together. I'd wake her at 5am and we'd get ready ASAP to hit the stores.

We hit Best Buy, WalMart, Kohls, OfficeMax, Target, and Circuit City. And I only managed to nearly kill her/us twice. The first time, I wasn't really paying attention (it was 5:20am after all), and was ready to run a red light when I heard her doing that inhaling thing that my mother was known to do on occasion as I was learning to drive.

MIL: "SSSsssssssss"
Me: "Oh shit!" *slam on brakes* "Whoops! Didn't mean to do that. I thought the light was green."

The second time was much less dramatic. I was turning left out of Circuit City, and I had had plenty of room to turn, until some guy came up from the right. Of course, he was driving much slower than he appeared, so while I waited for him to get past me so I could complete my turn and get behind him, the light changed and now we had traffic coming directly toward us from the left as well. Again MIL did the little inhale thing "ssssssss" and at that point I was glad to have my shopping done for the day. I'd had enough.

For the most part things were good. However, she asked me for ideas on things I'd like for Christmas. I told her I had enough clothes, but perhaps could use some things for the house, like stainless accessories for the new kitchen since the white stands out when all the appliances are black. I showed her the stainless toaster oven on sale at Target for $30 and she didn't like it because the shelf didn't pull out when the door opened. Only the red Oster one did that. Well, crap, I'm telling you what I want, and you wind up poo pooing my suggestion. Screw that.

Later on I bagged up my purchases, complete with gift receipts, and left them with her. They brought down two huge ass suitcase full of wonderful stuff for the kids, and now she'll bring back the stuff we bought. She'll wrap our gifts for us and I save on postage. Win-win situation for me.

The moment I most wanted to kill her was when she told me she'd have to ship down DD#2's gift. It's a car, the battery operated ride on kind. Because it was a great deal at Toys R Us. Like I need to have my 2 year old driving a car. Every time this weekend that our DS cried, he was bleeding and she was near him. Now she's going to have a car?! For what?! So that she can run him over? She already does that quite well TYVM with the Big Red Car or the plastic trike we have... Now I have to figure out a way to get rid of that thing without sounding overly bitchy.

Enjoyed some time in the pool with the girls, and I also put the hot tub on and enjoyed some time in there too. The neighbors must think we're freaks swimming in late November, but it is so warm compared to what we're used to.

Our company leaves at 5:30am tomorrow. Aaahhhh...

4 Comments:

At 11/28/2005 7:33 AM, Blogger mamatulip said...

I can't believe you're swimming in late November. That's the life, man!

Have fun getting rid of that car. ;)

 
At 11/29/2005 12:20 PM, Blogger jeanne_bean said...

Yeah. I'm going to need some serious help with getting rid of that car. Hmmm, must think of something credible, like they left it out and the rain shorted it out....

 
At 11/29/2005 9:31 PM, Blogger mamatulip said...

How about they left it in the front yard and some bastard neighborhood kids stole it?

 
At 11/29/2005 9:55 PM, Blogger jeanne_bean said...

Oooh GOOD ONE!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home