Displaced Yankee Chick in Texas

This blog chronicles my life as a displaced Yankee chick in Texas. I'm from the NY/NJ/PA area and quit my job 1.5 years ago to move to TX with DH and become a SAHM to our 3 kids (2 DDs and 1 DS). **Please note that names have been changed to protect the innocent.**

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Ramblings

Why is it that NBC can have a great morning show like Today, funny shows like My Name is Earl, great dramas like ER, but their late night programming SUCKS?!?! Jay Leno has never been my cup of tea; he always seemeed to pander to the senior citizens with stupid jokes that didn't offend. And it is a mystery to me how Conan O'Brien has been on the air as long as he has. The man annoys the living crap out of me. How much do I hate him? I can be asleep on the couch with the TV on; if I hear his voice, it wakes me out of a deep sleep! Most especially if he is doing his dumb ass "In the Year..." skits. Not only do those wake me up, but the piss me off! And how on earth did he score the U2 appearance?! I actually woke up for that one, and only watched it because U2 was on. If I didn't like them as much as I do, I never would have watched. Idiot. I think I like Carson Daly more than I like Conan, and that's not saying much.

You know you're in the Bible Belt when your school age child comes home the week before Halloween with the school newsletter, which in part reads, "Next Monday is Halloween. Please note that children are not permitted to wear Halloween costumes to school. Several families do not observe this holiday."

You know you're in the Bible Belt when the local paper prints a "Soap Box" where one can state an opinion or give thanks for something, and one opinion reads, "Do those of you who allow your children to celebrate know that you are sending your children to Hell for participating in this satanic worskip?" Gotta love it!

You know you're in the Bible Belt when your state offers this proposition for you to vote on on Election Day: "The gay marriage ban is Proposition 2 and provides "that marriage in this state consists only of the union of one man and one woman and prohibiting this state or a political subdivision . . . from creating or recognizing any legal status identical or similar to marriage."

Opponents of the amendment argue that same sex marriage already is illegal in Texas and that the amendment is more punitive than necessary.
" Quoted from the Katy Sun.

Why is it that my children's old day care center decided to drop the fabulous photographer they used in the past in order to get one who uses cheesy backdrops and offers "proofs"? I'm not impressed with the pix I've seen so far of other peoples' kids, and I don't hold any hope that they captured my kids smiling. The best part of this whole fiasco? The new photographer is way more expensive!! Thanks. Thanks a lot.

While I'm glad I've taught my children that they should always wear a seatbelt, how am I going to convince DD to ride the school bus? She has a valid point and I'm not sure how to entice her to ride the bus. Today's tack was to show her where the stop is, and where I think her classmate lives (across the street from it, I believe).

Wondering how long it will take me to unpack this house. My guess is years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home