Displaced Yankee Chick in Texas

This blog chronicles my life as a displaced Yankee chick in Texas. I'm from the NY/NJ/PA area and quit my job 1.5 years ago to move to TX with DH and become a SAHM to our 3 kids (2 DDs and 1 DS). **Please note that names have been changed to protect the innocent.**

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Riding the good karma train

I read Tink's blog last night and saw that last Friday she was upset at an uncaring driver. The driver's thoughtless actions killed some baby ducks and made Tink wonder about practicing random acts of kindness. She challenged her readers to pay it forward and then post a comment on her blog relating what they did.

The comments moved me and although I was very tired today, I felt optimistic. I only cringed for a second when a woman at daycare this morning commented on what a beautiful day it was (that reminds me of the morning of September 11th, and I worry every time I think it is a glorious day that something awful will happen).

My day brightened when I heard from my best friend, who is 9 weeks pregnant with a miracle baby. Things are still going well for her, and it was a great relief to learn that. My day improved considerably when my cell phone rang. I was expecting it to be a collegian calling with a sorority-related question. Once I saw that it was my friend Amy, I worried. She was in tears when I answered the phone and I was crestfallen. Last week she was notified that there was a possibility that she and her husband would be adoptive parents of a baby who was born that week. They couldn't get their hopes up because there was counseling required for the birth mother, parental rights needed to be relinquished, etc. I hated to think that their dearest dream had just been quashed. Amy said to me through her tears, "The prayers and candles worked. Thank your mom." Needless to say I was flabbergasted and asked if it was true. Were they going to be parents? YES!!! Their adoption case worker had just called with the good news. They will be bringing their baby boy home on Friday. Of course, I cried tears of joy for them. It was three years ago today that they began their adoption journey. Nevermind the countless medical tests and procedures prior to that to determine that she could not bear children. Shortly before I ran out to lunch to celebrate with some retail therapy, I received an email from Amy. She had received pictures of her precious baby William (named after her grandfather, on whose birthday last week she originally received news of his potential adoption) and forwarded them to me.

Following my retail therapy, I returned to the office to discover an email from my friend Patty. We have known each other nearly 25 years; we went to HS together. Last night I sent a message to our HS classmates via facebook asking them to pray for her or at least send her some good thoughts/vibes. Patty was diagnosed with colon cancer this summer, right around the time she turned 40. Maybe two weeks ago she discovered that a liver biopsy came back positive as well. This morning she met with a surgeon at Sloan Kettering to discuss the surgery on her liver. Her surgery will be around Thanksgiving, while she is in the middle of chemo for her colon cancer. The surgeon/doctors feel that she has a very good prognosis. Her email to me was an update with information from today's meeting. All I could think was that there wasn't a better day for her to have had this meeting. With all the good news I received, I knew that she would had a great prognosis.

I believe in the power of prayer and I believe in miracles. I witnessed them today.

Tonight I got on facebook and read emails from my HS classmates. They were asking me if I knew whether Patty could use blood donations, or money to hire help around the house, or meals; they asked for her address so they can send a card. We are spread throughout the country, but they have posted on Patty's facebook page or emailed her to say they are praying for her, to keep her spirits up, and to let her know that they are thinking of her. Patty is probably one of the nicest and most genuine and generous people I know, and I'm better for knowing her. And I'm better for knowing these classmates of ours, who are looking for any way they can to help. I'm awed, overwhelmed and overjoyed. And I'm in tears.

1 Comments:

At 10/01/2008 2:55 PM, Blogger Tink said...

I hope the good juju continues to spread. Congrats to both of your friends on their little blessings and thank you for sharing the joy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home