Displaced Yankee Chick in Texas

This blog chronicles my life as a displaced Yankee chick in Texas. I'm from the NY/NJ/PA area and quit my job 1.5 years ago to move to TX with DH and become a SAHM to our 3 kids (2 DDs and 1 DS). **Please note that names have been changed to protect the innocent.**

Monday, October 24, 2005

First day of kindergarten

Monday was B’s first day of Kindy at her new school. You’d think I could have gotten her there early so we could meet with her teacher, especially since I was up with DH at 6am. Nope. We showered and got dressed, and then I got the little ones dressed. This was only my third time at the school, so I probably could have done a better job. The parking lot is partially blocked off in the mornings to keep moving cars away from the students. I only knew of one entrance, and wound up in the driving drop off line. Once I was in the line, I realized I could have gone in the next entrance and been parked in front of the school, instead of on the side, which is where I ended up.

We met B’s teacher, who was walking the rest of the class to the classroom. I had the little ones in the double stroller and B was lugging her backpack, which was full of school supplies. I apologized for being late as we walked down the hall together. I got a brief explanation of the classroom’s activities and expectations. B’s teacher is really very nice and made B feel welcome immediately.

While she was at school I surprised myself by feeding the little ones and me a surprisingly well rounded lunch – turkey breast, cheese, whole wheat bread, and grapes. Go me! LOL! Later I managed to put away my grandmother’s china, which had been sitting on the dining room table for over 2 months. (I had forgotten to bring the key to the china cabinet down with me on my last trip to TX in August when the movers unpacked the truck.)

I again surprised myself by remember to actually go and pick B up at school. One of my great fears is that I get caught up doing something and forget to get her. My plan is to have her riding the bus by next week, so that I won’t have to remember to get her. She had a great day and said her classmates were really nice. Since I hadn’t had an opportunity to take pictures of her before school, I took some after.

The comedy of errors for the day started when I told B that we’d go out to dinner to celebrate her first day of Kindergarten. We’ll celebrate again once DH is home to join us. So I asked B where she wanted to go and she said pizza. We headed out to the pizza place that we ate at in August. The place is great for kids; it has a really cheap buffet, like the Pizza Hut buffet lunch. So I parked in front, and the place was deserted. Turns out, they hadn’t paid the rent, so the landlord changed the lock and posted a notice on the door. So I got back in the car from reading the notice and asked B what her second choice was. Chick-fil-A. We headed there, only to find that the playground there has been removed. They are either renovating it, or removed it to add more seating. Since I really wanted the kids to run off some energy, I wanted to find a restaurant with a playground. Third time was a charm – we went to Burger King. The girls enjoyed the play area, until S got stuck near the top and couldn’t get down. She wouldn’t let B help her down, nor could she get down herself, so I had to climb up and get her.

My next adventure was giving the little ones a bath in the girls’ tub. Bad idea. The tub enclosure is one of those sliding door things, so I only have access to half the tub at a time. Then A decided that he needed to stand up and try to reach for the shampoo bottle and he kept slipping and sliding. Since the tub enclosure in his bathroom is in pretty bad shape, DH and I are planning to remove it and install a crescent shower rod instead. This will be where I bathe the kids once we make the changes.

I relaxed by enjoying some chocolate ice cream and then unpacking, washing and putting away our barware into the butler’s pantry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home