Displaced Yankee Chick in Texas

This blog chronicles my life as a displaced Yankee chick in Texas. I'm from the NY/NJ/PA area and quit my job 1.5 years ago to move to TX with DH and become a SAHM to our 3 kids (2 DDs and 1 DS). **Please note that names have been changed to protect the innocent.**

Sunday, October 23, 2005

A warmer southern welcome was never had!

I've been in Texas about 36 hours now and I've received the most wonderful warm welcome from some neighbors...

I took my oldest DD with me to get the mail this afternoon and was greeted by the remains of flaming dog turds in a lunch bag on our front walk. Lovely. I'm sure the creeps who did this did it last night. However, they forgot the one key element of surprise when pulling off this stunt. Not once did our doorbell ring last night. Great job kids!! DH thought the kids did it this afternoon, since when I first discovered our welcome wagon surprise I implored him to come outside. After asking him repeatedly to come to the door, he finally did appear and admire our gift. Later on I realized that he thought that it was afire when I was asking him to get to the front door. Um, hello! Wouldn't it be stupid to pull a stunt like this in broad daylight??!!

Tonight after dark DH and I were watching TV and the little guy was just falling asleep on me. The doorbell rang, but it a short ring. I leaned back in my seat to see if anyone was there, but couldn't see anyone. Nor were we expecting company at that hour. DH got up and DS and I followed him to the door. I could see red laser lights shining on our door and through the glass in the door. DH opened the door, but as expected, there was no one there, and thankfully, no new flaming gifts either. DH said there were kids on the golf course across the street. Thanks again kids; DS woke up following our walk to the front door...

I'm so flattered that these people have gone out of their way to make me feel so welcome in their lovely and exclusive enclave.

As an aside, DH has only met the lady who lives on one side of us. He met the couple who lived on the other side, but they have since moved away. Southerners are rumored to be so friendly and welcoming but I haven't seen it. Not one person stopped by while the moving truck was here 2 months ago, nor during our visits to the house before, during and after the moving truck was here. Yesterday and today I was outside while the DW and DH next door (the lady DH met and her DH) were going in and out of their house, and yet they never stopped to even say "Hi" or "Welcome to the neighborhood." Seems I won't feel so homesick after all; they act just like us Yankees!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home